1) Making yeast rolls with Mom and snagging one from the bread basket before it gets to the table.
2) Learning how to make real whipped cream from Grandmommy and eating a spoonful by itself because I don’t like pumpkin pie.
3) Being in charge of putting out place cards and deciding who I want to sit next to each year.
4) Talking Dad into pouring me a taste of the wine so I could feel grown up for just a day.
5) Listening to mom sneeze 3 times at the end of the meal and her telling us Granddaddy always did the same thing.
6) Waiting for dessert until family friends come over and then having game night while we digest it all.
7) Carrying boxes (and boxes and boxes) of decorations down from the storage cupboard above the bathtub while mom fixes hot chocolate the next morning.
8) Helping untangle the lights with Dad because Mom doesn’t have the patience for it.
9) Taking each ornament out of the box one at a time and each of us getting to hang “ours” on the tree wherever we want.
10) Turning out all the lights except the ones on the tree and the candles in the windows, turning on the radio to the station playing carols, and listening to the crackle of the fireplace as we are surrounded by the warmth of family.
What are your childhood memories from this time of year?